As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is esophageal cancer? Esophageal cancer is cancer that creates in the esophagus. The esophagus is a long, hollow tube that carries food from the throat to the stomach. The esophagus helps you to move the food from the back of the throat to the stomach to be digested. Finally, it shows the symptoms of esophageal cancer.
Cancer can occur anywhere in the esophagus. Men and women get esophageal cancer. Esophageal cancer is the sixth most common cancer which causes death worldwide. Cancer causes may be a use of high alcohol, tobacco, high drinking, poor diet, etc.
Esophageal Cancer Signs and Symptoms:
The esophageal cancer symptoms generally do not appear until 60% of cancer infiltrated the esophageal tube. At this time, the tumor is in the advanced stage. The signs and symptoms of esophageal cancer include below:
- The most common signs of esophageal cancer usually feel difficulty swallowing. The difficulties feel first when the solid food is swallowed. Then the food is softer and converts into liquids.
- Weight loss is another sign of esophageal cancer. The weight loss without any trying or exercise.
- Sometimes, feel pain in different body parts at the breastbone, and chest. Sometimes, it causes pressure.
- Another sign of esophageal cancer is dry sounding cough and bloody vomiting. As a result, the tumor affects the nerve.
- The liver, nerve, and lung metastasis is the cause and the other symptoms of esophageal cancer.
- The voice sounds rough.
Esophageal Cancer Causes:
It is not exactly clear the causes of esophageal cancer. Cancer occurs when cells’ esophagus errors in their DNA. The errors make cells out of control and grow. The abnormal cells occur as a tumor in the esophagus that can spread to the other parts of the body.
Types of Esophageal Cancer:
The types of esophageal cancer depend on the types of cells. The type of esophageal cancer helps to determine treatment options. The type of esophageal cancer is given below:
- Adenocarcinoma: Adenocarcinoma is a common form of esophagus cancer. In the United States, men are more affected by cancer than women. It begins in the cells of the esophagus. Adenocarcinoma occurs primarily in the lower part of the esophagus.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma: The Squamous cell is the thin cells that line the surface of the esophagus. Squamous cell carcinoma occurs in the upper and middle parts of the esophagus. It is the most dominant esophageal cancer worldwide.
- Other Types: The other forms of esophageal cancer are sarcoma, choriocarcinoma, melanoma, and small-cell carcinoma, etc.
Prevention of Cancer:
Some small steps can be taken to prevent esophageal cancer. Some of them include:
- Give up Smoke: If you smoke, give up this bad habit as soon as possible. It is the main reason behind cancer and is also injurious to health.
- Not Drink Alcohol: Alcohol is the favorite drink for all generations in the modern world. It is harmful to health. It causes cancer.
- Eat Healthy Food: To live a healthy life eats fresh food regularly. Keep colorful fruit and fresh vegetables in your regular daily diet. Drinking pure water is also necessary for regular body circulation.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Being overweight is very harmful to health. If you have overweight, consult with a doctor who helps you to lose weight. Always maintain a healthy weight.
Esophageal Cancer Surgery:
Surgery may be used for an early stage of cancer to remove affected cells from the esophagus. But for the later stage, other treatments are preferred. Chemotherapy and radiant therapy may use as other treatments. These treatments may be used before surgery to shrink the tumor. The nearby lymph nodes are removed during surgery if the cancer is found in the esophagus.
The types of surgery for esophageal cancer include:
- Open Surgery: In this surgery, the surgeon may need to cut the chest, pain. This surgery depends on finding out where the cancer is in the esophagus. It also depends on the surgeon’s preference.
- Esophagectomy: This surgery is used for removing esophageal-stomach cancer. The stomach is connected to the upper part of the esophagus. The surgeon removes the part of the stomach, the esophagus which contains cancer.
Most of the esophagus is removed from cancer if the tumor is in the middle or upper portion of the esophagus. The stomach is then connected with the esophagus in the neck. The surgeon may be used intestine to make the connection between the two. It moved without damage to its blood vessels. The tissue will die if the vessels are damaged.
Esophageal Cancer Stage:
After being diagnosed with esophageal cancer, the doctor tries to find out the stage of cancer. The stage described how much the cancer is in the body. The earliest stage of esophageal cancer is stage 0. After then it ranges from stage 1 to stage 4.
The stage depends on cancer how much is spread. Esophageal cancer stage 4 is the sign that the cancer is in the last or final stage. It means cancer has spread more. Most esophageal cancer starts in the innermost lining of the esophagus. And then grow deeper with time.
Esophageal Cancer Survival Rate:
Esophageal cancer is a treatable disease. But in some cases, it is rarely curable. The survival stage depends on many facts, including the stage. The survival rate ranges from 5% to 43%. The 5 years survival people rate is 43%. The 5 years survival rate for people with this disease which spreads among tissues is 23%. If the disease spread over the other parts of the body, the survival rate is 5%.
Esophageal cancer occurs from smoking and drinking alcohol. Smoking and drinking alcohol is not the only cause of esophageal cancer. It is also very harmful to health. For leading a healthy life, avoid smoke, and alcohol.
If the symptoms of esophageal cancer are found, consult with a doctor as soon as possible. Cancer may be curable in the first stage. But in the last stage, it is dangerous for life. For that, it is the best way to be concern about health, weight, and regular diet.
Be the first to comment