As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Major depression is a very common disease that happens to anyone. Adults, child, teenagers are the victim (especially ages between 20s to 30s) of major depression affection at different time of their life. In the case of women, the rate is twice than men. Women remain at the risk of major depression due to puberty, monthlies, pregnancy, and midlife crisis. But people are very wondering to visit doctor for treatment of depression disorder. Most of us have no idea about depression treatment systems.
In my article, I will provide the full concept of major depressive disorder definition & it causes and treatments.
Major depressive disorder definition
Major depression is a mental disorder that results from low mood, low self-respect, and loss of interest in regular life, low energy and huge pain without any definite reason. It has very negative effect on a person’s regular lifestyle and activities. Even it can hamper their regular habits like eating, sleeping etc. Around 8% of mentally depressed adult committed suicide and 60% of suicides are committed for major depression at the different situation of life.
- There are some genetic, environmental, and psychological factors behind the disorder.
- Around 40% depression problem occurs from genetics reason.
- Depression is a different disorder, unlike sadness. Sadness is a normal part of your regular life. As we get hurt, we become sad. But depression is a very different issue.
Medical statistics: Around 3 %( 216million) of the total world population are affected by major depression. The rate is so high in the developed countries (15%) than developing and under developed countries (11%).It is considered the second most viral disability of human being that effects long term after low back pain.
Major depressive disorder with psychotic features
Major depressive disorder with psychotic features is every severe condition. It needs emergency medical treatment and cares. It affects someone’s life, even change their personality and behaviors pattern. Around 20% of mental disorder patient has psychotic symptoms like seeing; taking, hearing or believing something that doesn’t exist.
25% of mental disorder patients are hospitalized for psychotic features. Major depressive disorder with psychotic features two types.
- Hallucinations: It means watching or listening something that doesn’t exist.
- Delusions: Involving one’s brain in absurd thoughts that create fear or illusion in his/her mind.
Major depressive disorder with psychotic features is more dangerous than other major depression. As there exists a depressive syndrome that results in hallucinations and delusions in someone’s mind. People of the psychotic disorder should face physician immediately and take medical counsel and treatment.
Major depression symptoms of the psychotic disorder are including below:
- Sleeping disorder
- Intellectual damage
Major depressive disorder symptoms
Major depressive disorder symptoms are showing here:
- Sensation of sadness, emptiness & discouragement
- Angry attitude, easily frustrated on small things
- Loss the concern of regular activities like food habit, study, sports even sex
- Change of sleeping habit due to insomnia or oversleeping
- Loss of energy, even small tasks seem too difficult to accomplish
- Change of food habit, sometimes it causes excessive weight loss or gain
- Nervousness, turbulence or uneasiness in public or crowded place
- Irrelevant and awkward thinking, behavior and attitude
- Feeling guilty for the previous failure
- Thinking about death and suicide issues, in some cases, patients take several attempts to suicide
- Exotic physical inabilities such as back pain or a headache
- Losing of old memories
Major depression causes
Major depression is a very complex and critical disease. As there are no fixed or different reasons, it can happen from different issues including genetics, emotional attachment or environmental issues. According to the research main major depression causes are enlisting below:
- Living inequality: Depression causes due to living inequality or physical change that effect to the brain. Though it is not certain but it can be the viral cause behind major depression disorder.
- Brain functioning: Neurotransmitters are a part of brain function that plays a significant role in mood changing. Recent medical research explains that change of brain functioning and effects of Neurotransmitters cause depression.
- Hormonal change: Imbalance of hormones inside human body causes depression. The balance of hormone can be affected by the pregnancy, thyroid diseases, midlife crisis and so on.
- Genetics: Around 40% of depression symptoms come from family inheritance or genes. That means the major causes and symptoms are determined by the family tree whose face the same condition in their life.
Also, major depression can occur from,
- Excessive use of alcohol or drugs
- Critical medical diseases such as cancer
- Involving in excessive medications including steroids
Major depression treatment
Major depression treatment involves in psychotherapy and medications. Here I am giving details about major therapies for treatment and the last part of my article describes different types of medications to recover depression.
- Psychotherapy: It is a cognitive and behavioral approach to depression treatment that alleviates depression. Through this therapy, a patient can be improved by reducing negative thought from the mind. However, it changes attitude and relationship status.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy: It is a medical process where the head is connected with the electric current through electrodes. It’s a very critical step which has taken after the failure of general medical treatment. The excessive use of Electroconvulsive Therapy cause different side effects. It is usually given three times in a week for 2-4 hours.
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation: It is a process that passes strong magnetic current through the head. It is a very complex process. It has been taken for treatment when other forms of treatment don’t respond.
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation: It is a surgical treatment that involves with a pulse generator. Through this generator pulse of electricity send out to the stimulate vagus nerve system.
Major depression medications
Medications are very helpful to get rid of depression problem. There is a various form of depression available. Here I am discussing the major depression medications in below:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs): If you are depressed inside, start SSRIs form of medication. It is very safe and causes fewer side effects than other forms of antidepressant. It includes following: fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva), sertraline (Zoloft), citalopram (Celexa) and escitalopram (Lexapro)
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
SNRIs include these: duloxetine, venlafaxine, desvenlafaxine, and Clevo milnacipran.
- Norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs)
It falls in Bupropion category. It is a form of medications that has no sexual side effects.
- A typical antidepressants
Unlike other medications, this falls in the Trazodone and mirtazapine category. The recommended time for taking this form medication is evening.
- Other medications
Other different forms of medication can be taken according to the suggestion of the doctor such as Anti-anxiety and stimulant medications.
Be the first to comment