As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Most of the people in this era of changing climate must have heard or know about an allergic reaction. But most of them don’t know some actual facts of allergic reaction. First of all, to understand an allergic reaction, we must need to know what allergic reaction is.
In 1906 the thought of ‘allergy’ was first introduced by Viennese Pediatrician Clemens Vonpirquet. One day he noticed that his some patients were oversensitive to normal inoffensive things. These substances are dust, molds, pollen or some kinds of foods. After observing this incident he named after this physical condition of his patients is ‘allergy’. The word ‘allergy’ is oriented from the Greek language consisting of two words, all meaning ‘other’ and ‘ergon’ meaning ‘work’
An allergic reaction is also known as allergy diseases. It is a hypersensitive condition when our body reacts to some specific elements of the environment. These elements are harmless and can cause no harm to some people. When someone has a weak immune system that reacts to these certain substances’ can cause much harm. Sometimes this allergic reaction causes death.
Medically these substances are called ‘allergens’. These are dust; pollen, dander etc. are some most common allergens. Though early exposure to the allergic reaction is potentially treatable, repeated exposure can do a lot of harm to an allergic person. Sometimes it leads a person to death.
In the developed world, allergies are the most common thing. A very recent study tells us that allergic rhinitis affects about 20% of people. Food allergy affects about 6% of people and almost 20% have atopic dermatitis at some time. There are about 1–18% of people who are suffering from asthma and it has variation in a different country. Anaphylaxis occurs between 0.05–2 percent of people.
How sciences define allergic reaction?
According to a medical journal, the definition of allergy is “A misguided reaction to foreign substances by the immune system. The body system of defense is against foreign attackers, particularly allergens or pathogens. These are some substances that cause an allergic reaction.
The reactions misguided in these foreign substances are usually harmless. The allergens are those elements that trigger an allergy. The pollen, dust, molds, mite, pet dander, and certain foods are some kinds of trigger allergy. People prone to allergies are said to be an allergic reaction rash or atopic.
What causes An allergic reaction?
The scientists are trying to find out the actual causes of allergic reaction rash. Many kinds of researches have been done for this purpose. But all of them are incomplete with some incomplete results. Scientists have been researching on this project. Hopefully, these will open a new door of knowledge. But we still have some important facts about the allergic reaction rash.
There are two types of risk factors of allergy and these are environmental factors and host factors. The host factors comprise of gender, heredity, race, and also age with some heredity is being the most important. However, recently there is an increasing rate of some allergic disorders. But these are always avoiding for explaining by the genetic factors.
Additionally, there are four main environmental applicants that change in exposé to spreading some kinds of diseases. These occur throughout environmental pollution, early childhood, allergen levels growing and the drastic changes of climate.
Types of allergic reaction
Allergies exit in different forms. According to a very recent report of the American college of asthma, allergies and Immunology (ACAAI) about 40 to 50 million people in the United States suffer from various types of allergic reaction. This allergic reaction interferes with day to day life or reduces the quality of their daily life. Here are some most common types of allergic reaction and their causes behind.
- Skin allergy: When skin comes in contact with allergens the body reacts on the substance. Among these, the most common one is contact dermatitis or eczema.
- Food allergy: Certain kinds of foods like the nut, shellfish, milk, egg, wheat, soy, casein and many more can be responsible for food allergic reaction.
- Pet allergy: There issome most common animal that works as allergens. These are dogs, cats, rabbit, horses and many more. Anything of these pets can be the trigger. It can be saliva, hair, urine and sometimes touch.
- Pollen allergy: Everyone likes flower and why not? They are really beautiful but the pollen of this heavenly creation can make an allergic person suffers a lot. Asters, Dahlias, Daisies, Gerber daisies, Chamomile Chrysanthemums, Sunflowers are some common flowers that cause an allergic reaction.
- Medications: Medicines are supposed to cure patients. But medications like penicillin, aspirin, chemotherapy drugs, antibiotics are the main causes of the allergic reaction to an allergic person.
- Stress: Chronic stress can cause allergic reaction condition and developed the symptoms of the allergy.
- Genetics: When someone’s close family members suffer from certain types of allergy than she or he can be developed that allergic reaction. In this case, D.N.A. is the carrier of allergy.
- Metal: Metal like nickel can cause an allergic reaction.
- Sinus infection: It is a major health problem in the U.S.A. There are about 30 million people who suffer from the sinus infection.
- Allergic rhinitis: Allergic rhinitis can be termed as the seasonal allergy. When the body reacts to certain things of environment due to the season then it’s known as allergic rhinitis.
- Latex: Latex also is a rare type of allergic reaction though it is a serious allergic reaction. At least, one percent of people suffer from it. A latex glove which is made from rubber tree is the main cause of an allergic reaction.
- Cockroach allergy: Some people are hypersensitive towards cockroach. They develop symptoms of an allergic reaction when they come to the contact with this insect.
There are also many types of the allergic reaction to dust, molds, toxins interacting proteins, eye allergy etc.
Symptoms of allergic reaction
Symptoms of an allergic reaction are different from person to person. But there are some common symptoms of an allergic reaction. Here are some of them given below.
- hives (itchy red spots on the skin)
- nasal congestion (known as rhinitis )
- rashes on skin
- scratchy throat
- watery or itchy eyes
- bumps on skins
- rashes on face
- flushing face
- nausea or vomiting
- swelling of the face, eye or tongue
- fear or anxiety
- pale or blue color skin(symptoms of food allergy)
Lastly, not the least conscious and careful attitude of an allergic person can help him/her to lead a healthy life like the other people. That’s why elders say “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”