As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today acupuncture is one of the most talked topics in the city. Acupuncture is a traditional alternative way of pain relief treatment. Many historians think China is the birthplace of acupuncture. To be frank; this ancient method of treatment has gained very popularly in recent years though it has some acupuncture side effects.
Recent research shows that more than 3 million people in the U.S. use acupuncture. It is not only popular in America other countries are also counting on acupuncture. For instance, 3 in 5 people use acupuncture in France. But there is no such thing in this universe which is perfect. Just like everything else in nature acupuncture has some side effects also.
What is acupuncture?
It is a part of Chinese medication in which thin needles are inserted into a patient’s skin as a treatment for various health conditions. Sometimes it is also used as a way to provoke anesthesia. At the very beginning, it was only used to treat pain in the human body. But now it has been used to treat other health conditions.
How does acupuncture work?
In this traditional method of treatment, needles are inserted into the acupuncture pressure points. There are 14 major meridians of the human body. These meridians have numerous acupuncture points. Each point indicates a part of the body. Many types of research show that these thin needles help the human body to discharge endorphins which work as a natural painkiller. But there are some other studies suggest that the insertion of needles stimulates our nervous system. Finally, it distracted us from the real pain.
Why is it done?
Chinese people believe chi (energy source of life) runs through the body. When something blocks the way of the flowing chi we become sick. For example, any blockage in certain nerves or arteries in the body. At present this ancient method of pain relief treatment used to treat various types of health conditions. Here are some common reasons why people go for acupuncture treatment.
- Acupuncture for low back pain: Sometimes standard treatments for chronic back pain don’t work. Acupuncture can help the treatment for back pain. Studies show that both “fake” and actual acupuncture worked well than the established treatment procedures for relieving back pain. It had lasted for more than about three months. The board still out on acupuncture for short-term (acute) pain in the low back.
- Acupuncture for headaches: Acupuncture is also very useful for relieving migraines. Most of the studies shown that people are receiving acupuncture which had fewer days with stress headaches than traditional care.
- Arthritis pain: In 2012 a research done by Memorial Sloan-Kettering Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics tells us that arthritis patients who receive acupuncture treatment are doing better than those who didn’t.
- Anxiety or depression: Depression or anxiety has become a great concern for today’s rushing world. Here acupuncture can provide a great handy tool.
- Sleep deprivation: Insomnia is a common sleep-related health problem. Acupuncture helps a person to get better sleep.
- Digestion: Acupuncture helps us to improve our digestive system.
Common and most possible side effects of acupuncture
Acupuncture has a lot of benefits. Nothing in this world is a hundred percent perfect. Acupuncture also has some faults. Here are some common side effects of acupuncture.
- Worse symptoms: Lots of improvement occurs in people’s health after acupuncture. However, most of the people feel nervous before they start to feel better. Sometimes, it is said to us like a healing experiment in natural medical treatment. The concept is that a patient’s body starts experiencing the changes associated with moving toward health, things get mixed up. But there is nothing to worry about after some time patients feel better. This worse symptom proves that acupuncture is helping the patient’s body to awaken healing capabilities.
- Fatigue: Some people can wipe out after acupuncture. It is completely normal. It is a sign that your body needs rest.
- Soreness: When needles are inserted into the body some feel soreness. It typically lasts for 24 hours.
- Bruising: Bruising is less common than soreness and it lasts longer. The main cause of hematoma is bruising that is a localized collection of blood. Finally, it gets initiated when the needle punctures the skin.
- Muscle twitching: Some people feel muscle twitching. No matter how and which techniques are used for the insertion of needles. Muscle twitching is different from muscle spasm. Just tell your acupuncturist to pull out the needle when you are felling your muscles are twitching. You will be alright.
- Lightheadedness: Lightheadedness is a rare side effect of acupuncture. When you go for your acupuncture apartment make sure you are not an empty stomach. Eating nothing before acupuncture sessions can cause lightheadedness. Don’t get up from the acupuncture table take your time to avoid this side effect.
- Emotional release: Some people cry during acupuncture treatment. It is not because they feel extern pain for the insertion of needles. They cry because acupuncture releases their emotions. And keep faith this is the best for relieving emotional stress.
- Infection: If acupuncture needles are not sterilized properly, they can cause infection.
- Allergic reaction: People who have an allergy to stainless steel, they shouldn’t try acupuncture.
- Blood pressure: People temporarily drop blood pressure during the acupuncture session.
- Inflammation: Sometimes pressure in the nerve can cause inflammation.
- Organ damage: If the needles are not inserted carefully, it can damage vital organs like lungs.
Does acupuncture hurt?
The needles of acupuncture are very thin. Most of the people feel very little pain no pain when they insert needles. After acupuncture, people often say they feel energized or relaxed after the treatment.
Is acupuncture effective?
Some people are always curious. They have a very popular question does acupuncture work? The much modern medical research group has given a big yes to this question. Acupuncture takes a little bit more time than high power medicine but it works. Acupuncture helps you to destroy the root cause of your health condition and heals your body naturally.
All the advantages come with some disadvantages. The benefits of acupuncture are more than the acupuncture side effects. Most important of them is that it is a natural healing process. So, any sensible person would consider it trying at least once.